Topics > County Durham > Coxhoe > Coxhoe Medieval Settlement

Coxhoe Medieval Settlement


The buried remains of the Medieval village of Coxhoe are located to the south-west of East House Farm, roughly half way between the modern villages of Coxhoe and Kelloe. There are visible remains of Medieval ridge and furrow cultivation here. The old manor house was replaced by Coxhoe Hall in the 18th century. The buried remains of the settlement are a Scheduled Monument. The area of the settlement straddles the civil parishes of Coxhoe and Kelloe.

"The plan of the medieval settlement of Coxhoe is of a type familiar to this part of County Durham in which parallel lines of tofts or houses with crofts or garden areas to the rear face on to a village green. Beyond the tofts and crofts would lie the communal open fields where the crops were grown. The tofts and crofts at Coxhoe survive as visible earthworks up to 0.5m high, forming rectangular and subrectangular enclosures of between 6m and 10m wide arranged around a narrow green...The village of Coxhoe first appears in land grants of the 14th century. By the end of the 14th century the village was in the hands of the Blakiston family. In 1418, the manor house and mill were described as ruinous." (Historic England)

Coxhoe Deserted Medieval Village Coxhoe Hall (c1725 - 1956) Historic Buildings and Monuments in Kelloe, County Durham Coxhoe Civil Parish Scheduled Monument
from https://historicengland.org...
Coxhoe medieval settlement, 170m south west of East House Farm
- "...Coxhoe medieval settlement, 170m south west of East House Farm, is well- preserved and retains significant archaeological deposits. The village is a good example of its type and will add ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Ridge and furrow at Coxhoe Hall
- "The remains of medieval (1066 to 1540), often known as ridge and furrow can be seen at this site...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Farmland, Coxhoe

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Coxhoe Hall (c1725 - 1956)
  Co-Curate Page
Coxhoe Hall (c1725 - 1956)
- In c1725 John Burdon built Coxhoe Hall in a castellated gothic style, replacing a much earlier manor house. The hall was situated in Coxhoe Woods, near the medieval village of ...
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Deserted Medieval Village, East House, Coxhoe
- "This is the site of the deserted medieval village of Coxhoe East House. Many earthworks can still be seen. They mark out the building platforms on which the houses were ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1019918
County: County Durham
Keys to the Past HER: D3261
Grid ref: NZ3321735692

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES