Corney is a distributed rural community in the Copeland district of Cumbria, located about 2 miles north of Bootle and 7half miles north-west of Millom. The area includes serveral farms and Corney Fell and Birkby Fell. There isn't a village as such, but St John the Baptist Church here (not to be confused with St John's at nearby Hall Waberthwaite) was the centre of the ancient parish of Corney, historically part of Cumberland. Corney Hall (farmhouse) is located about ½ mile south of the church. From 1866 to 1934, Corney was a civil parish; after which this was merged to form part of Waberthwaite and Corney Civil Parish.