Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Waberthwaite Civil Parish > Corney Parish, 1848

Corney Parish, 1848


CORNEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (S.E. by S.) from Ravenglass; containing 273 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the coast of the Irish Sea, and comprises about 3,000 acres, of which 1,000 are common or waste; it is bounded on the east by a lofty range of fells stretching on the south to the mountain of Black Comb. The surface is boldly varied, and the scenery in many parts strikingly picturesque; the higher grounds command diversified prospects, and from Corney Hall is an exceedingly fine view of the sea and numerous interesting objects. On the lands of the Hall are several veins of iron-ore of very rich quality, but of limited depth, which were wrought to some extent about 80 years since. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 1.; net income, £140; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. To the north of the village are some extensive ruins, of which the history is unknown, and in the neighbourhood are numerous Druidical remains. Mr. Troughton, an eminent philosophical instrument maker, was a native of the parish.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Afternote: Corney became a civil parish following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866. Then on 1st April, 1934, Corney Civil Parish was abolished and the area became part of Waberthwaite Civil Parish. The parish council is now known as Waberthwaite and Corney Parish Council.

Waberthwaite Civil Parish Corney Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848
Corney
  Co-Curate Page
Corney
- Overview About Corney Map Corney is a distributed rural community in the Copeland district of Cumbria, located about 2 miles north of Bootle and 7half miles north-west of Millom. The ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Corney
- "Ancient parish in Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Waberthwaite CP 1934....Population: estimated at 480 in 1688; rising from 222 in 1801 to a peak of 292 in ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES