Topics > Tees Valley > Middlesbrough > Middlesbrough - Town Centre > Exchange Square > Commerce House

Commerce House


Commerce House is located on the corner of Exchange Square and Exchange Place in Middlesbrough. It was built 1901 - 1903, designed in a Baroque style, by H. Barnes and Coates (Hartlepool), and has a distinctive green copper dome. It was originally built for the York City and County Banking Co. Ltd, and following banking amalgamations became the Midland Bank in 1918.[1] After around a century of use by the bank, the building then went on to be occupied by the North East Chamber of Commerce (NECC). It was then sold by the NECC for redevelopment as offices in c.2015.[2] The building is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Exchange Square Exchange Place Historic Buildings and Monuments in Middlesbrough 1903
from Flickr (flickr)
1 Exchange Square

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Office building in Middlesbrough

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Exchange Square, TS1

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
MIDLAND BANK - Middlesbrough - List Entry
- "Bank, 1901/03 by H. Barnes and Coates (Hartlepool), for York City and County Banking Co. Ltd. Polished Aberdeen granite ground floor; sandstone ashlar upper floors; brick stacks and copper ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.gazettelive.co....
Look inside historic Commerce House in Middlesbrough before it is transformed
- Teesside Gazette 31/12/2015 "hese pictures give a rare glimpse inside one of Middlesbrough’s best examples of industrial architecture - before it’s transformed into a modern office hub ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES

Commerce House is located on the corner of Exchange Square and Exchange Place in Middlesbrough. It was built from 1901 -1903, designed by H. Barnes and Coates (Hartlepool), for the York City and County Banking Co. Ltd. The building is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.