Cliburn Parish, 1848
CLIBURN (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 6 miles (S.E.) from Penrith; containing 251 inhabitants. The parish is pleasantly situated between the rivers Eden and Lavennet, which bound it on two sides, and is intersected by the small river Lethe. It comprises 1,769a. 2r. 11p., whereof about 120 acres are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture; the soil is partly of a dry, light, and sandy quality, partly moor, and partly a strong loam. In the parish is the small hamlet of Gilshaughlin, where, during the prevalence of the plague at Appleby, in 1598, the market for that town was held. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 1. 5½.; net income, £188; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The tithes were commuted for land in 1806. The church is a small neat edifice, with a low tower. A school is endowed with an allotment of land, producing £21 per annum.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.