Cleadon, Historical Account, 1890
Extract from: Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1890
Cleadon is a small village and township 3 ½ miles north from Sunderland, and the same distance south from South Shields. There is a station in Cleadon lane, on the North Eastern railway. The church of All Saints (a chapel of ease to St. Mary’s, Whitburn) is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, and a turret containing one bell: there are 150 sittings: service on Sunday only, at 3 p.m. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Cleadon Meadows is the residence of John Brodrick Dale esq. J.P. and Undercliff, of Col. William Henry Allison J.P.
National Schools (mixed), built in 1830, for 50 children; average attendance, 30.