All Saints Church, Cleadon


"Originally the village of Cleadon formed part of the parish of Whitburn (it’s larger neighbour to the east at the coast). In the mid nineteenth century Cleadon had started to grow and the villagers desired their own place of worship that they did not have to walk to. Permission was given by the Bishop of Durham to build a church in Cleadon. It was to have a seating capacity of 100. The site was obtained through a legacy and in 1866 the foundation stone was laid by Richard Shortbridge JP of Cleadon Meadows. The completed building was dedicated on March 31 1869 as a Chapel of Ease." (Church Website)
from http://www.cleadonallsaints...
All Saints Church in Cleadon
- Official website of the church, includes a page on its history.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
all saints cleadon

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES