Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Irton with Santon Civil Parish > Church of St Paul, Irton

Church of St Paul, Irton


St Paul's Church is in an isolated location about 1 mile north-east of the village of Holmrook and ¾ mile west of Irton Hall, in the Copeland district of Cumbria. The church was rebuilt on site of the site of an ancient church in 1857 by Miles Thompson of Kendal. The chancel was extended by William White of London in 1872. St Paul's Church is Grade II* listed on the National Heritage List for England. The 9th century Irton Cross is located in the churchyard. The parish War Memorial is located close to the church.

St Paul, Irton is in Irton with Santon, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Calder, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is Black Combe, Drigg, Eskdale, Irton, Muncaster and Waberthwaite. The church is a Grade II* Listed Building.

History

St Paul's church was founded by Augustinian monks in the 13th century. It was rebuilt and consecrated in 1865, designed by Miles Thompson of Kendal using the old church's original stone and wood. Extensions and renovations were carried out in 1887 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria, these included the introduction of the present timber roof.

Architecture

Built of the local stone with pebble dash stucco with a slate roof and terra-cotta ridge tiles. The interior space comprises a 4-bay nave with west tower, 3-bay chancel, and adjoining vestry. The tower contains a peal of eight bells given by Sir Thomas Brocklebank, the shipping magnate, who set up the Brocklebank Shipping Co in Whitehaven. There are memorials to various members of the Brocklebank family, and to Admiral Lutwidge.

The floor is tiled with Minton Encaustic tiles. The stone font has 4 marble shafts supporting circular bowl with evangelist symbols carved on panels at cardinal points. The octagonal wooden pulpit has arcaded, openwork sides. Scrollwork decoration to wrought-iron gates in tower arch. The pipe organ pipes are decorated with Fleur-de-lis. The pews are a dark wood and fixed a quatrefoil carved into ends.

There are many stained glass windows in the church, and two pairs of these are designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, and made by William Morris & Co. These show St Paul, The Tiburtine Sibyl, St Agnes with a lamb, and St Catherine of Alexandria.

Churchyard

The churchyard has approximately 100 grave stones and a further 100 in an adjacent cemetery, including 1 Commonwealth War Grave

In the churchyard is Irton Cross, an Anglo-Saxon cross dating from the early 9th century, it lies chronologically between the Bewcastle Cross and the Gosforth cross and has greater affinity with the earlier Anglo-Roman style of Bewcastle. Pevsner describes this as one of the most important crosses in Cumberland.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 09/03/2021).
Visit the page: St Paul, Irton for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Irton with Santon Civil Parish Grade II* Listed 1857 Churches and Cathedrals Historic Buildings and Monuments in Irton with Santon The Irton Cross
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Church of St Paul, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton, Lychgate

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton, Interior

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton, Stained glass window

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton, Altar

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Paul's Church, Irton, Stained glass window

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St.Paul’s Church, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Peter's Church, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Paul's Church, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Inside Irton church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Paul's Church, Irton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Paul's Church, Irton, 2MP Pipe Organ

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Paul's Church, Irton, 2MP Pipe Organ

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Paul's Church, Irton, 2MP Pipe Organ

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST PAUL - Irton - List Entry
- "Parish church. Rebuilt on site of earlier church 1857 by Miles Thompson of Kendal; vestry on north side added in 1866, rebuilt 1872 when chancel extended by William White of ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
The Irton Cross
  Co-Curate Page
The Irton Cross
- Overview About the Irton Cross 1901 Description Map Street View The Irton Cross is a carved Anglo-Saxon stone cross located in the churchyard of St Paul's Church - the church ...
from https://www.achurchnearyou....
St Paul's, Irton
- "....this striking Victorian Church stands on an ancient religious site above Irton and enjoys spectacular views across the fields to the fells. In the Churchyard is a Celtic Cross around ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1086671
List grade: 2*
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY0916200470
Wikipedia: St Paul, Irton

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES