Church of St Joseph, Birtley


St Joseph's Church in Birtley was desigened by John Dobson and was opened by 1843 to replace the Birtley Roman Catholic Mission, which had moved to Birtley in 1746. The earlier chapel of 1791 had become too small to accommodate the influx of Catholic Irish to the area.[1] St Joseph's was designed in the Early English style, and is a Grade II listed building.

from Geograph (geograph)
St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Birtley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.stjosephs-birtle...
St Joseph's Church, Birtley
- Official Website of the Church. Includes a section on the parish history.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Church of St Joseph at Birtley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Church of St Joseph including attached presbytery and stone wall to S and SW - Birtley - List Entry
- "The Roman Catholic Church of St Joseph of c1840, completed in 1843, with later additions of 1862 and 1910, also its presbytery and enclosing wall, is listed at Grade II ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(7402): Birtley, RC Church of St. Joseph and Presbytery
- "Opened by 1843 to replace the Birtley RC Mission which had been in operation since the seventeenth century. A school and other facilities were later added for the Catholic population ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES