Tyne and Wear HER(7402): Birtley, RC Church of St. Joseph and Presbytery

  • Description

    "Opened by 1843 to replace the Birtley RC Mission which had been in operation since the seventeenth century. A school and other facilities were later added for the Catholic population {1}. This Dobson-designed church followed from a Catholic Benedictine mission of 1696, which had moved to Birtley in 1746. A Chapel was then registered in 1791 after the Catholic Relief Act came into force, but this became too small to accommodate the influx of Catholic Irish to the area and so this church was built. Designed in the Early English style, it is constructed of large coursed sandstone blocks with carved details......"
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/7402
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 252 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES