Church of St Cuthbert RC, Cowpen, Blyth


The Roman Catholic church of St Cuthbert in Cowpen, Blyth, Nothumberland, is located off Cowpen Road (A193). The Sidney Family came to Cowpen Hall in 1804 where Catholic Mass was provided by a French priest. Later Mass moved to Cowpen Grove House, but this became too small due the growth of the Catholic community associated with the influx of Irish immigrants who came to work at the Bedlington Iron Works. Marlow J Sidney converted an old cow byre to be used as the first church at Cowpen and this became part of a wider Benedictine mission established in 1836.[1] The church was remodelled by John Dobson in 1840. The church is a Grade II listed building.

from Geograph (geograph)
Cowpen, Blyth, Northumberland, the Roman Catholic Church of St Cuthbert

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Roman Catholic Church of St Cuthbert - Blyth - List Entry
- "....The Sidney Family came to Cowpen Hall in 1804 and Mass was first offered there by a French priest. Mass subsequently moved to Cowpen Grove House and, after this became ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://taking-stock.org.uk/...
Cowpen - St Cuthbert
- Detailed information about the church and history of Cowpen

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  from Simon Cotterill (Co-Curate Page)
Cowpen, Blyth

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES