Roman Catholic Church of St Cuthbert - Blyth - List Entry

  • Description

    "....The Sidney Family came to Cowpen Hall in 1804 and Mass was first offered there by a French priest. Mass subsequently moved to Cowpen Grove House and, after this became too small due to the expansion of the Bedlington Iron Works and an influx of Irish immigrants who swelled the Catholic population, Marlow J Sidney converted an old cow byre to be used as the first church at Cowpen. The church became part of a wider Benedictine mission established in 1836, the earliest in the area, patronised by the locally important Sidney family many of whom are also buried in St Cuthbert's churchyard. The church was remodelled in 1840 by John Dobson who added a sanctuary and converted the former byre into a nave; the altar was consecrated on 18 November 1840....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1431014
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 311 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES