List number: 1207107
List grade: 2
Tyne & Wear HER: 7160
Grid ref: NZ3988556060

Charlton House, Sunderland


Charlton House, No. 2 Mowbray Road, Sunderland (formerly known as Nicholson House) was built in 1850 by John and Benjamin Green. The mansion was built for Alderman William Nicholson, who made his fortune supplying copper, brass and iron fittings for the ship building industry.[1] The house was later used for students’ union accommodation for Sunderland University, before being sold to Sunderland High School. The High School closed in 2016. Charlton House is next to Langham Tower.

from Flickr (flickr)
Carlton House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CARLTON HOUSE - Sunderland - List Entry
- "Formerly known as: Nicholson House MOWBRAY ROAD. Villa. At the time of listing in use as polytechnic students' union accommodation. 1850. By J & B Green. For Alderman William Nicholson, supplier ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(7160): Sunderland, Mowbray Road, No. 2, Carlton House
- "Formerly known as Nicholson House. Villa, now students’ union accommodation. 1850. By J & B Green. For Alderman William Nicholson, supplier of copper, brass and iron fittings for ships. Ashlar with ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES