Charlton East Quarter, Township, 1848
CHARLTON, EAST-QUARTER, a township, in the parish and union of Bellingham, N.W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 1¾ mile (N.W. by W.) from Bellingham; containing 173 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the north side of the North Tyne. A small stream tributary to that river flows here.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.