The Central Arcade was built in 1906 and designed by Oswald and Son, of Newcastle. It is contained within the Central Exchange Buildings which were built Richard Grainger in 1837. The arcade replaced the interior of the Exchange Building, which was badly damaged by fires in 1867 and 1901. The arcade cuts through from Grey Street to Market Street and also has an entrance on Grainger Street. Central Arcade is Grade II* listed on the National Heritage List for England.