Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Civil Parishes in Newcastle > Brunswick Civil Parish

Brunswick Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Newcastle City Council.

About the Parish

Overview:

Brunswick is one of only six civil parishes in Newcastle upon Tyne (most of the city is unparished). The parish is located about 5 miles north of the city centre. 

Brunswick Civil Parish was created on the 1st April 1955, when the old civil parishes of Brenkley, and Mason were abolished. Brunswick CP was formed from the western half of Mason CP, the south east of Brenkley CP (not the hamlet of Brenkley, which was transferred to Dinnington CP). Small parts of Dinnington and Stannington CPs were also included in the new Brunswick CP.[1]

Main Settlements:

Brunswick Village

Population:

1,029  (2011 Census)

1,024  (2001 Census)

Area: 3.62 km2
Parish Council: Brunswick Parish Council
Unitary Authority: Newcastle City Council
Ceremonial County: Tyne and Wear

Historical

Ancient Township:

Brunswick CP wasn't created until 1955, but it's area included parts of what had been:

Brenkley Township

Mason Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Dinnington Parish  (St Matthew)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

Castle (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Castle Ward Poor Law Union, formed in 1836.

Castle Union Workhouse was located at Ponteland, built in 1848 to house 120 inmates, and later extended. Prior to 1848 the Union used the old workhouse at Heddon-on-the-Wall.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

County:

Northumberland, until 1974, then:

Tyne & Wear, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Tyne and Wear County Council (1974 - 1986), based at Sandyford House.

The council was abolished in 1986 along with the other metropolitan county councils in England by the Local Government Act 1985. However, it remains a ceremonilal county.

District Council:

Newcastle City (metropolitan borough)

Since 1986 Newcastle City Council has functioned as a unitary authority (responsible for both district and county-level functions).

Civil Parishes in Newcastle Brunswick Village
Brunswick Village
  Co-Curate Page
Brunswick Village
- Overview About Brunswick Village Map Street View   Brunswick Village is a village split between North Tyneside and Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England. It is situated approximately 6 ...
from https://www.haveavoice.org....
Brunswick Parish Council

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES