Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Broughton Moor Civil Parish

Broughton Moor Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Cumbria County Council.

About the Parish

Main Settlements:

Broughton Moor (village) and the hamlet of Harker Marsh

Population:

783  (2011 Census)

726  (2001 Census)

Area: 6.99 km2
Parish Council: Broughton Moor Parish Council
District Council: Allerdale Borough Council
County Council: Cumbria County Council
Formed: Established in 1898 when Great Broughton CP and Little Broughton CP were abolished to form Broughton CP and Broughton Moor CP. By that time, the population of Broughton Moor had grown significantly in association with coal mining.

Historical

Ancient Townships

(in area of modern CP)

Great Broughton Township

Little Broughton Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Bridekirk Parish  (St. Bridget)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

Allerdale below Derwent (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Cockermouth Poor Law Union, formed in 1838.

Cockermouth Union Workhouse was located by Sullart Street in Cockermouth, opening in 1841. This replaced smaller existing workhouses in Cockermouth, Maryport and Workington.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

County:

Cumberland, until 1974, then:

Cumbria, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972. The new county absorbed Cumberland and Westmorland, and added some parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.

District Council:

Cockermouth Rural District (1894 - 1974)

Allerdale Borough (1974 - )  Created by the Local Government Act 1972. Allerdale absorbed the former municipal borough of Workington; the urban districts of Maryport, Cockermouth and Keswick; and the rural districts of Cockermouth and Wigton.

 Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Broughton Moor Civil Parish, Cumbria, from the the National Heritage List for England.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Note
Broughton Moor War Memorial 1457603 II 1921 Churchyard of St Columba
Church of St Columba 1144502 II 1905 By W D Caröe.
Milestone at Entrance to Linefoot Farm 1144503 II C18th Cockermouth & Maryport turnpike road

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries. Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings.

Civil Parishes in Cumbria Harker Marsh Broughton Moor
Broughton Moor
  Co-Curate Page
Broughton Moor
- Overview About Broughton Moor Map Street View   Broughton Moor is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Allerdale in Cumbria, England. It is situated on an extensive ...
Harker Marsh
  Co-Curate Page
Harker Marsh
- Overview Map Street View Harker Marsh, sometimes referred to as Sunny Slack, is a hamlet in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located about 2 miles south-east of Maryport and ¾ ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Broughton
- "CP in Bridekirk parish, Allerdale below Derwent Ward, Cumberland, created 1898 from bulk of townships of Great and Little Broughton. Broughton Moor CP created at same date, covering mining settlement ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.visionofbritain...
Broughton Moor CP

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES