Botchergate is a street and area in the south of Carlisle. Historically Botchergate grew outside the old town walls, it began a linear development, with dwellings and hostelries along the road approaching the town walls. During the 19th century Botchergate expanded and became increasingly urban and commercial. Eventually it was subsumed into Carlisle, as the city grew. The first post box on mainland Britain was erected in Botchergate in 1853.
BOTCHERGATE, a township, in the parish of St. Cuthbert, Carlisle, Cumberland ward, union of Carlisle, E. division of Cumberland; containing 5,460 inhabitants.