Billingside Township, 1848
BILLINGSIDE, a township, in the parish and union of Lanchester, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 13 miles (N.W.) from Durham; containing 13 inhabitants. It comprises about 340 acres, and is situated north of the road between Shotley-Bridge and Lanchester: the river Derwent passes about three miles distant on the west.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.