Topics > Northumberland > Barrowburn

Barrowburn


Barrowburn (aka Barrow Burn) is a remote hamlet in Upper Coquetdale, Northumberland. It is located about 13 miles north-west of Rothbury and 3 miles south of the border with Scotland. The settlement is situated by the River Coquet, at it's confluence with Barrow Burn (stream), after which the settlement is named. There is a road bridge over the Coquet and a ford over the burn here. It is thought to be the site of a deserted medieval village.[1] There was also a medieval fulling mill at Windyhaugh, a short distance upstream on the River Coquet.[2] Historically, the settlement and surrounding area formed the township of Barrow in the ancient parish of Alwinton. Barrow became a civil parish is 1866. The old village hall at Barrowburn was used for markets and dances for farmers from the valley, and also for mass sheep clipping.[3] Windyhaugh School was built in 1879 and was in use as a school until 1978 (in 1993 it was converted to become Barrowburn camping barn). In 1955, Barrow Civil Parish was abolished and the area became part of Alwinton Civil Parish.[4]

Northumberland Alwinton Civil Parish Barrow Burn (Coquetdale) River Coquet Barrow Township, Northumberland
from Geograph (geograph)
Barrowburn Ford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Barrowburn and Windyhaugh on the Upper Coquet

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The former Barrowburn farmhouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Deer Hut

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Camping Barn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Post Box near Barrowburn Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Barrowburn Village Hall below Partridge Side

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Barrowburn Village Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Barrowburn from the north

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Archaeological excavation of Barrowburn Fulling Mill

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The northern flank of Shillhope Law

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Barrowburn
- This is the possible site of a deserted medieval village called Barrowburn

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.visionofbritain...
Barrow Tn/CP
- includes information on many different historical units, including census data and other statistics..

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Barrowburn mill
- "Remains of a Medieval fulling mill were identified by Coquetdale Community Archaeology group in 2010. The mill has been suspected for some time: an entry in the the Newminster Chartulary ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES