Arlecdon is a village in Cumbria, located about 5 miles east of Whitehaven. In the village is Arlecdon Primary School, originally built as Arlecdon Board School in c. 1878. Just to the north of the village is the Parish Church of St Michael, which was founded in the 12th century. The population of Arlecdon was 757 in the 2011 census. The village is part of the Civil Parish of Arlecdon & Frizington.
Arlecdon is a village in the Borough of Copeland in Cumbria, England, near the town of Whitehaven.
It has an historic Grade II listed church, first built in 1829, which contains a stained glass window dedicated to Isaac Fletcher of Frizington. In 1904 the church was remodelled, with the addition of a bell tower and eight bells cast by John Taylor & Son of Loughborough.
In 2014 it was announced that the church is to close, and the bells hopefully re-used in another church.
The village also has a 19th-century primary school and an old Sunday school.
'Arlecdon' is " OE 'earn-lāce denu', eagle-stream valley'." ('OE' is Old English).
- John Adams, 1st Baron Adams OBE, JP, MA (12 October 1890 – 23 August 1960). British politician and public servant. The son of Thomas Adams and Mary Bowness, he was raised to the peerage as Baron Adams on 16 February 1949, the first Cumberland-born man to be so honoured since 1797. He is buried by the foot of the church tower.
- Billy Adams, professional footballer.
Most common surnames in Arlecdon at the time of the United Kingdom Census of 1881, by order of incidence:
- 1. Burns
- 2. Wilson
- 3. Thompson
- 4. Jackson
- 5. Graham
- 6. Smith
- 7. Richardson
- 8. Stewart
- 8. Hodgson
- 10. Martin