Amble Township, 1848
AMBLE, a township, in the parish of Warkworth, union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (S.E.) from Alnwick; containing 724 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence near the mouth of the river Coquet, where a harbour has been formed under an act obtained in 1838, by which the value both of the soil and the minerals here has been greatly enhanced. The place was anciently of much greater importance, as is evident from the discovery of circular foundations of houses, of unhewn and uncemented stones of British origin, and of Roman coins: a paved causeway also was discovered a few years since, extending in a direction towards the old bed of the Coquet. There are valuable and extensive mines of coal in the township, the produce of which is exported to France and other parts. The tithes have been commuted for £170. 19. 6. payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, and £46. 8. 10. to the vicar of the parish.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.