WOODLAND, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkby-Ireleth, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 8¼ miles (N.N.W.) from Ulverston; containing, with Heathwaite, 331 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £68; patrons, the Landowners. The chapel was built in 1689, and repaired in 1822.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.