Kirkby Ireleth Parish, 1848
KIRKBY-IRELETH (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Ulverston; containing 3,449 inhabitants, and including the chapelries of Broughton-in-Furness, Seathwaite, and Woodland with Heathwaite, the township of Dunnerdale, the districts of Low-Quarter and Middle-Quarter, and the extra-parochial places of Waitham-Hill, Mosshouses, Marshfield, and Herdhouse. The parish is separated from that of Millom, in the county of Cumberland, by the river Duddon, which falls into the Irish Sea; it comprises, exclusively of waste and common, about 1,000 acres of inclosed and cultivated land, with a tolerable portion of wood. The soil is of a clayey nature, alternated with tracts of lighter quality, and there are some good meadows; quarries are wrought of dark blue slate, which is conveyed to distant places. Railway communication has been opened up, to Whitehaven on the one side, and to Ramsyde, on Morecambe bay, on the other. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £125; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church contains several ancient monuments, and the windows exhibit some beautiful specimens of stained glass. There are chapels at Broughton-in-Furness, Woodland, and Seathwaite.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.