Wideopen Colliery


The sinking of Wideopen Colliery began in 1825 and production stated in 1827 after reaching the High Main coal seam at a depth of about 146 metres. Coal from Wideopen was transported via the Fawdon Wagonway to Scotswood. The site was once used as a motor scrap-yard, then later redeveloped for housing.

from https://commons.wikimedia.o...
Wideopen Colliery in Northumberland
- Public Domain image "As depicted by the famous coal fields artist Thomas Harrison Hair in 1844."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Wideopen Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(1077): Wideopen Colliery
- "Wideopen Colliery appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, with a shaft marked on the main site and a tunnel and shaft to the north west at NZ 2433 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES