Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WHITTONSTALL, a chapelry, in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 10 miles (S.E. by E.) from Hexham; containing 184 inhabitants. It is situated on the Roman Watling-street, and is the property of Greenwich Hospital. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £45; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The chapel, dedicated to St. Philip and St. James, has been rebuilt. The governors of the hospital allow £15 a year to a master for teaching children.