Whalton Parish, 1855
Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.
WHALTON is a parish comprising the townships of Newham, Ogle, Riplington and Whalton. It is bounded on the north by Meldon parish, bn the west by Tindale Ward, on the south by Newburn parish, and on the east by Ponteland. It comprises an area of 5,918 acres, and its population in 1801 was 470; in 1811, 541; in 1821, 534; in 1831, 548; in 1841, 531; and in 1851, 461 souls. The decrease of population in Whalton, which is an agricultural parish, is attributed to the employment of single men instead of married labourers as formerly! The rivers Blyth and Howburn intersect this parish.
NEWHAM township is situated seven miles south-west by west of Morpeth, and contains 1,321 acres. The number of its inhabitants in 1801 was 70; in 1811, 69; in 1821, 76; in 1831, 83; in 1841, 65; and in 1851, 59 souls. The tithes were commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £164 7s 2d. The township consists of the following hamlets, Newham Edge, East Newham, West Newham, Middle Newham, and Huntlaw. The principal landowners are Lord Decies, and the Rev. E. C. Ogle, M.A., Kirkley Hall.
DIRECTORY. John Boiston, vict., Highlander, Newham Edge; and the farmers are Robert Nixon, Huntlaw; James Robson, West Newham; William. Robson, East Newham; and Robert Rutter, Nun Hill.
OGLE is a township and small village in the above parish, comprising 2,117acres. The population of the township in 1801, was 122: in 1811, 140; in 1821, 148; in 1831, 137; in 1841, 121; and in 1851, 102 souls. It was the property of a family which bore the local name from the earlier period of history until the year 1809. John de Ogle held this manor of the Barony of Whalton, by the service of one knight's fee, but adhering to the barons in the time of Henry III, his estate was forfeited and not recovered till the reign of Edward III, who, in 1340, granted license to Robert de Ogle to castellate his manor-house, and to have free warren through all his demesne. This Robert Ogle married Helena, daughter and heiress of Sir Robert Bertram, of Bothal, greatly increased his inheritance, and entailed the castle and manor of Bothal and other possessions in this county, upon the heirs male of his body, on condition that they should bear the name of Ogle, and the arms of Ogle and Bothal quartered. The Lords Ogle continued in possession of the manor and castle, which descended to the Duke of Portland, the eldest co-heir of the Barony of Ogle, till 1809, when it was purchased by Thomas Brown Esq., an opulent shipowner in London, for £180,000. The castle, which was very strong and surrounded by two moats, has been long demolished, and but a few fragments of the ruins now remain. THE VILLAGE of Ogle is situated six and a half miles south-west of Morpeth.
DIRECTORY. Edward Trewick, blacksmith; George Wilson, cartwright; William Laidler, boot and shoemaker; and the farmers are Robert Ditchburn, Hill Head; Thomas Elliott (and steward); James Gledson and Michael Watson, Ogle South Farm.
RIPLINGTON is a small townsbip about one mile west by north of Whalton. Its area is 377 acres, and its population in 1801, was 15; in 1811, 25; in 1821, 25; in 1831, 17; in 1841, 30; and in 1851, 13 souls. This township is situated on the extreme verge of Castle Ward, and consists of one farm, the property of Cuthbert Teasdale, Esq.
DIRECTORY. C. Todd, farmer.
WHALTON is a township and village in the parish of the same name, the property of Thomas Rochester, Esq., and others. The township contains 2,103 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801 was 263; in 1811, 307; in 1821, 285; in 1831, 311; in 1841, 315; and in 1851, 287 souls. It was anciently the property of Robert de Crammavil, who held it by the service of three knights fees, Failing in rendering the accustomed service, it was seizedupon by King John, who granted it to the Fitz-Roger family, in whose posession it remained till the reign of Edward I. We afterwards find it the property of the Scropes of Masham; but in the reign of James I. it was held by the Crown and was subsequently granted to the Meggisons of Whalton, and others, coming ultimately into the possession of the present proprietors.
THE VILLAGE of Whalton is pleasantly situated on the Bolam road, six miles W.S.W. of Morpeth, and has been long distinguished as one of the neatest and cleanest villages in the county. It possesses many good houses, some of which have tastefully ornamented gardens in front, enclosed with elegant palisades. There is a remarkable ancient camp or entrenchment to the east of the village. THE PARISH CHURCH is situated to the south of Whalton. It is very ancient, and was repaired and pinnacles added to the tower in 1783. Several members of the Ogle family are buried in its chancel. The parish register commences in 1661. The living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne and deanery of Morpeth, is valued in the Liber Regis at £13 8s. 1½d; gross income £800. R. Bates, Esq. is patron, and the Rev. John E. Elliott, rector.
Here is an endowed school for the education of poor children. The original endowment consisted of £20, left by Margaret Moor in 1728, but it has been augmented by the sale of the land which was purchased soon after the donor's death.
Alder C. farmer, Kiplaw
Bewiek Joseph, farmer, Whiteside
Brown James, blacksmith
Brown Joseph, schoolmaster
Brown Thomas, tailor
Charlton Thomas, shopkeeper
Cook Henry, corb miller, Whalton Mill
Elliott Rev. Robert, rector, Rectory
Foster Mr. W. T.
Gibson Mr. J. C.
Harriet W. H. farmer
Hedley William, farmer
Milbourn Robert, boot and shoe maker and shopkeeper
Moscrop John, joiner
Phillipson James, veterinary surgeon
Pickering George, shopkeeper
Postgate Francis, shopkeeper
Ramsay Thomas, farmer Beanley Cross
Robson Matthew, shopkeeper
Robson James, vict. Thatched House
Rochester Thomas, Esq.
Scott John, boot and shoemaker
Spearman Joseph butcher
Stappard J. farmer
Towers John, stonemason
Tumbull Thomas, vict. Seven Stars
Vardy Robert, surgeon