West Tarset (Township), 1848
TARSET, WEST, a township, in the parish of Thorneyburn, union of Bellingham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (W.N.W.) from Bellingham; containing 173 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the rivulet of the same name, which shortly after joins the river Tyne. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £145, and there is a glebe of above 22 acres.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.