West Rainton Township, 1848
RAINTON, WEST, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 4¼ miles (N.E.) from Durham; containing 1,054 inhabitants. This place, like East Rainton, belonged to the great convent at Durham. The township comprises by measurement 1,688 acres, of which 1,310 are arable, 358 grass-land, and 20 waste; the surface is undulated, the soil clay, and the scenery embraces fine views of Durham, etc. The population has increased of late years in proportion to the great extension of the neighbouring collieries; and facilities of conveyance are afforded by the Seaham railway, which is joined in the township by the Durham Junction line. A chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, formerly existed, but there are now no traces of it: the present church of Rainton was erected in 1825, at an expense of £1,400, and the living is a rectory, with an income of £300, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham. A rent-charge of £240. 0. 11. has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes of the township. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.