East Rainton Township, 1848
RAINTON, EAST, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham; containing 1,414 inhabitants. This place, formerly called Reynington, was a manor and park belonging to the convent of Durham, and after the Dissolution was given to the new cathedral, though the tithes, which belonged to the house of Kepier, passed into lay hands. The township includes the modern village of Middle Rainton, and comprises 849a. 17p., of which 481 acres are arable, 344 meadow and pasture, and 24 waste. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring coal-mines, the produce of which is shipped at Sunderland: Plain pit exploded, and destroyed a number of persons, in 1817, and again in 1823. The Durham Junction railway passes through the township. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £134, and the remainder for £38. 16. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.