West Chevington, 1848
CHIVINGTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of Warkworth, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (N. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 67 inhabitants. It was formerly, like East Chivington, of more importance than it is at present, as appears from the foundations of houses still to be seen. The township comprises 1,816 acres, of a stiff soil, mostly arable; 150 acres are meadow, and 500 wood: the surface is generally level, the air salubrious, and there are fine sea views. The tithes have been commuted for £150. 7. payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, and £16. 2. to the vicar of the parish. There was formerly a chapel, which has long been in ruins: the burial-ground still remains.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.