Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Warkworth Civil Parish > East Chevington, 1848
East Chevington, 1848
CHIVINGTON, EAST, a township, in the parish of Warkworth, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 10½ miles (N.N.E.) from Morpeth; containing 289 inhabitants. This place is situated on the eastern coast, and, with West Chivington, is the property of Earl Grey. Part of the land, adjoining Druridge bay, was formerly overflowed by the tide, owing to its lying low, and from that circumstance is called the Salt meadow. As a commutation for the tithes, £344 are payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, and £57. 15. to the vicar of Warkworth.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.