Waverton Township, 1848
WAVERTON, a township, in the parish and union of Wigton, ward and E. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles (W.S.W.) from Wigton; containing 543 inhabitants. The river Waver intersects the township, dividing it into High and Low. The tithes were commuted for land in 1811.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.