WATER-MILLOCK, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 7 miles (S.W.) from Penrith; containing 524 inhabitants. This place is sometimes called Newchurch, from the present chapel, which was built in 1558, on a more convenient site than the former. It is situated on the north side of Ullswater lake, in a district abounding with diversified scenery, the natural beauties of which have been heightened and improved by the erection of several handsome private residences, with pleasure-grounds tastefully laid out. In a deep glen in Gow-Barrow Park, rushing impetuously through the thick foliage of full-grown trees, is Airey Force, a beautiful cataract, which, dashing from rock to rock, emits a considerable spray. The discharge of a gun produces, from the reverberation of the hills, an effect somewhat like thunder, and one or two French horns that of an harmonious concert of musical instruments. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron, the Rector of Greystock. A school for boys is endowed with £525 in the three and a half per cent, consols.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.