Warton Township, 1849
WARTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3¼ miles (W. by N.) from Rothbury; containing 74 inhabitants. It was formerly a member of the Hepple barony. The neighbourhood is called the "core of Coquet," from the excellence of its soil. The tithes have been commuted for £20.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.