Topics > Cumbria > Lowca > War Memorial, Lowca

War Memorial, Lowca


The War Memorial in Lowca is located at the junction of West Croft Terrace and High Lowca. The memorial, originally located close to Lowca Methodist Chapel, was unveiled on the 25th of April 1920 by Thomas Crellin, from Lowca. The memorial was built to commemorate 10 local servicemen who lost their lives in the First World War. Later, it was further dedicated to 5 local men who died in the Second World War. The memorial was maintained by the local branch of the British Legion until the 1960s, from then on maintained by the Parish Council. It was moved to its current position in 2008. Lowca War Memorial is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Lowca War Memorials
from Geograph (geograph)
War Memorial, Lowca

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
War Memorial

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from https://historicengland.org...
Lowca War Memorial
- "...Lowca War Memorial was originally situated near to the Methodist Chapel. Some of the funding came from the disbanded Lowca Prisoner of War Fund in March 1919. The rest was ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Lowca Methodist Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1457587
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NX9830321662

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES