War memorial cairn on Plenmeller Common
A war memorial cairn is located on Plenmeller Common, about 2½ miles south-east of Haltwistle. Also known as 'The Currick', the cairn was built by sheperds before 1939 (shepherds known to have worked the area at that time include Mr Johnson, Mr Collins, Mr Short, and Mr Wighams). The memorial was cared for during the Second World War by Mr Short. When opencast coal mining commenced in 1991, the promontory on which the memorial stands was worked around. A plaque raised by UK Coal was dedicated on 30 July 2007. The memorial is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.
WAR MEMORIAL CAIRN/ ERECTED BY/ TYNEDALE SHEPHERDS/ IN MEMORY OF ALL WHO DIED IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.