Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Haltwhistle Civil Parish > Wall Township (Haltwhistle Parish), 1848

Wall Township (Haltwhistle Parish), 1848


WALL-TOWN, a township, in the parish and union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N.W. by W.) from Haltwhistle; containing 85 inhabitants. This was one of the twelve villes of South Tindale which, in 1315, prayed the king for remedy against William de Soules, to whom Robert de Brus, King of Scotland, had given the manor of Wark, in Tindale, in which these townships were situated. In Henry VIII.'s time Wall-Town was the property of the Ridleys, who continued here till the reign of Charles I., if not later; and the place has been subsequently owned by the families of Marshall, Bacon, and Wastell. The Roman wall passed through the township, in which were the stations Vindolana, now termed Little Chesters, and Aesica, called Great Chesters, the ramparts of which, particularly of the latter, where are also considerable traces of a town, are in better preservation than those of any other station on the wall. Roman baths, altars, tombstones, inscriptions, curious pieces of sculpture, and numerous other relics of antiquity, have been found in both; and in a neighbouring hill called Chapel-Steads, many urns have been discovered. Near the military road connecting the two stations are some tumuli, termed the Four Lawes; and on an adjoining hill a rude monument of three large stones, vulgarly called the Mare and Foals. The tower of Wall-Town, which was a castellated building, is described, in 1542, as the inheritance of John Ridley, and in good repair; at present only the site is visible, the ruins having been used in the construction of a modern farmhouse.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Haltwhistle Civil Parish Haltwhistle Parish, 1848 Wall
Wall
  Co-Curate Page
Wall
- Overview About Wall Map Street View   Wall is a village in Northumberland, England situated to the north of Hexham close by the River North Tyne and Hadrian's Wall. The ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES