Uldale Parish, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
ULDALE, a parish, in the union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 8 miles (S. by W.) from Wigton; containing 330 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2,217a. 3r. 10p., exclusively of waste and common. The river Ellen has its source here, in two small lakes well stocked with various kinds of fish; about a mile and a half south-east from which, a brook, tumbling from a lofty mountain over several rocky precipices, forms a beautiful cascade termed White-Water Dash. Coal, freestone, limestone, and peat abound. A large fair for sheep is held on August 29th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 18. 1½.; net income, £151; patron, the Rev. Joseph Cape. The church was rebuilt by the parishioners in 1730. The free school, founded in 1726, has an endowment of about £47 per annum.