Topics > County Durham > Tursdale > Tursdale Colliery (1854 - 1931/67)
Tursdale Colliery (1854 - 1931/67)
The colliery at Tursdale was sunk in 1854 and was owned by Bell Brothers Ltd, ironmasters of Middlesbrough. By 1914 there were 867 people employed at Tursdale Colliery (602 working below ground and 265 on the surface). In 1923 Dorman, Long & Co. Ltd. became owners of the colliery. In 1931, Tursdale Colliery stopped drawing coal and was merged with Bowburn Colliery, where coal production continued up to 1967.
Grid ref: NZ301359
Add a comment or share a memory.