Topics > Cumbria > Hayton (Carlisle) > Toppin Castle

Toppin Castle


Toppin Castle Farmhouse, located just under a mile south-west of the village of Hayton, was built in the mid 19th century in the style of a medieval tower house. The red sandstone tower was built for George Head Head and includes a carved coat of arms of it's patron.[1] Toppin Castle is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Hayton (Carlisle) George Head Head (1795 - 1876)
from Geograph (geograph)
Toppin Castle Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Toppin Castle Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Toppin Castle Farm House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
TOPPIN CASTLE - List Entry
- "Farmhouse, imitating tower house. Mid C19 for George Head Head. Hammer dressed red sandstone with large quoins and modillioned battlemented parapet hiding roof. 4-storey square tower with hexagonal 5-storey angle ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
George Head Head (1795 - 1876)
  Co-Curate Page
George Head Head (1795 - 1876)
- Overview About George Head Head   George Head Head (c.1795 – 12 December 1876) was a mayor, magistrate, banker and mine owner in Carlisle. The bank was started by his ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES