Thornborough Township (Corbridge), 1848
THORNBOROUGH, a township, in the parish of Corbridge, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5¾ miles (E.) from Hexham; containing 60 inhabitants. It is the property of Greenwich Hospital. Considerable quantities of limestone are quarried and burned: a lead-mine which had been anciently wrought was re-opened in 1801, but the speculation proving unsuccessful, was soon after abandoned. A little to the north-west of the village is an eminence called Camp Hill, where was formerly a fortified station; and to the south of the hill was Sheldon lough, which was completely drained on the inclosure of the common.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.