Thornaby District, 1848
THORNABY, a district, in the parish of Stainton, union of Stockton, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 1¾ mile (S.S.E.) from Stockton; containing 1,485 inhabitants. This district, which forms part of Cleveland, is bounded on the north and west by the river Tees, and comprises about 1,800 acres; the soil is generally a rich loam resting on clay, and the substratum is intersected by a dyke of whinstone which is continued across the river. Since the extension of the Darlington railway, which now passes through the township to Middlesbrough and Redcar, Thornaby has much improved: its population in 1831 was only 301 persons. In connexion with some potteries and a glass-bottle manufactory established here, a new village called Stockton-south-of-the-Tees has arisen, which promises to become of more importance; on the river are wharfs belonging to these works, and some large shipbuilding yards. The living, till 1844 a perpetual curacy united to the living of Stainton, is now distinct; it is in the gift of the Archbishop, and has a net income of £120. The church is ancient.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.