Tarretburn Township, 1848
TARRETBURN, a township, in the parish and union of Bellingham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N.W.) from Bellingham; containing 247 inhabitants. It includes the hamlets of Greenhaugh and Gatehouse. The houses are built chiefly in the deep and narrow glens formed by the lofty hills of this mountainous district.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.