Stanghow is a village in the Borough of Redcar and Cleveland, located about 4 miles east of Guisbrough and half a mile south of the village of Lingdale. Stanghow is within Lockwood Civil Parish. Historically it was part of the ancient Parish of Skelton in the North Riding of Yorkshire.
STANGHOE, a township, in the parish of Skelton, union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 4½ miles (E.) from Guisborough; containing 109 inhabitants. This place was anciently the property of the family of de Brus, from whom it passed by marriage to the Fauconberges; the Nevilles next held the estate, and among more recent proprietors have been the families of Conyers, Trotter, and Hall. The township is situated a little to the north of the road between Whitby and Guisborough, and upon a stream which runs northward, and, after a course of a few miles, falls into the sea at Skinninggrove.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Stanghow is a village in the borough of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. The place name Stanghow is thought to derive from the Old Norse meaning Stong-how meaning pole hill. How or Howe, deriving from the Old Norse word haugr meaning a hill, is a common element in Yorkshire place name.
It has won Britain in Bloom twice, in 2010 and 2012.