Skelton Parish, 1848
SKELTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York; containing, with the township of Moorsholm with Girrick, and that of Stanghoe, 1,053 inhabitants, of whom 628 are in Skelton township, 4 miles (N.E. by N.) from Guisborough. This place was given at the Conquest to Robert de Brus, a Norman baron who came over with William, and who erected a castle here, of which scarcely any vestiges remain, the whole having been modernised in 1794. From this baron descended some of the kings of Scotland, and the present family of Bruce, marquesses of Ailesbury. A market, originally held on Sunday, but subsequently altered to Saturday, and a fair at Whitsuntide, have been both discontinued. The parish forms part of the district of Cleveland, and comprises by measurement 11,460 acres, of which about two-thirds are arable, and one-third pasture; the soil on the high lands is light, and in the low grounds a strong clay. The loftier parts command a fine view of the ocean, by which the parish is bounded on the north. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Brotton annexed; net income, £137; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York, whose tithes in Skelton have been commuted for £505: the incumbent has a glebe of 32 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.