STAINMORE, a chapelry, in the parish of Brough, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Brough; containing 611 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £119; patron, the Earl of Thanet. The chapel was erected as a school in 1594, consecrated for divine service in 1680, and repaired in 1699 by Thomas, Earl of Thanet, who built a house adjoining, in which about 30 children are instructed for an endowment of £30 per annum. At a place called Maiden Castle is a Roman fort, and there is another at Rere Cross, which, according to tradition, was erected in the first or second century, by Marius, a petty king of the Britons, in memory of a victory over the Picts.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.