St. John's Chapel, Weardale, 1849
WEARDALE, ST. JOHN, or St. John's Chapel, a chapelry, in the parish of Stanhope, union of Weardale, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (W.N.W.) from the village of Stanhope. This is a small thriving town, situated in the Vale of Wear, through which runs the river of that name; its chief support is derived from the neighbouring lead-mines, where the population is employed. A customary market, on Saturday, has been established for more than a century; and there are cattle-fairs in spring and autumn: the market-cross was erected at the expense of the late Sir Ralph Milbank, Bart. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £186; patron, the Rector of Stanhope: the glebe is valued at about £150 per annum. The present chapel, a handsome structure, was built at the expense of the late Sir William Blackett, Bart., aided by a bequest of £50 from Dr. Hartwell, rector of Stanhope. There are several places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists in the vicinity. About a mile below Westgate, in the chapelry, the army of King Edward III. was encamped by the river Wear, and the Scots on the opposite hill, when Sir James Douglas, in the dead of night, attacked the English camp, and is said to have killed the king's chaplain. Emerson, the celebrated mathematician, had a house in the neighbourhood of the town, where he occasionally resided.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.