Tyne & Wear HER: 4090
Grid ref: NZ23646546

Spital Tongues Colliery (1830s-1858)


from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Spital Tongues Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(4090): Spital Tongues Colliery
- "Spital Tongues Colliery. Opened in the 1830s. In the 1850s the owners were Edward Richardson & Co. The Victoria Tunnel (HER 4091), an underground railway, was built for Porter and Latimer ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  from Simon Cotterill (Co-Curate Page)
Victoria Tunnel, Newcastle
- Summary History Route Restoration Victoria Tunnel was built between 1839 to 1842 to carry coal from Spital Tongues Colliery to the River Tyne. The waggonway tunnel was 1½ miles (2.4km) ...
  from Simon Cotterill (Co-Curate Page)
Spital Tongues
- Overview About Spital Tongues Map Street View Spital Tongues is a historic area in the north west of Newcastle upon Tyne. It had been a separate village until the city ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES