Tyne and Wear HER(4090): Spital Tongues Colliery

  • Description

    "Spital Tongues Colliery. Opened in the 1830s. In the 1850s the owners were Edward Richardson & Co. The Victoria Tunnel (HER 4091), an underground railway, was built for Porter and Latimer from Spital Tongues Colliery to the Tyne near Glasshouse Bridge. The lease for mining was granted commencing on 25 March 1835, but they were faced with the serious problem of getting the coal from the colliery to the Tyne...."
  • Owner

  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/4090
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 9 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 706 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.